If my boyfriend and I split up and I’m on the lease but I left, can I legally go get my daughter’s stuff without his permission?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my boyfriend and I split up and I’m on the lease but I left, can I legally go get my daughter’s stuff without his permission?

We don’t have anything and the police said I had to file for it if I wanted them to help me get it. I need my daughter’s stuff before then but I don’t want to just go get it if I’ll get in trouble over it, or get my friend (who has to drive me because I don’t have a car) in trouble for taking me.

Asked on July 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and get your daughter's items left behind at the place that you occupied is for you to contact your former boyfriend for a date and time to pick the items up.

If he is agreeable, show up with at least one other person to assist you and act as a "neutral" in the event things between you and the "ex" flare up. If you "ex" refuses to allow you to return to get your daughter's belongings then you will need to ask for police presence at the location where your daughter's items are to retrieve them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption