My boyfriend and I are trying to buy a house. I am on the mortgage but not on the title. Can I get any money on the sale of the house?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My boyfriend and I are trying to buy a house. I am on the mortgage but not on the title. Can I get any money on the sale of the house?

I will bo on the mortgage as is my boyfriend. My boyfriend is on the deed, I am
not. Can I get any money out of the house sale legally if I lived there and
contributed to the upkeep? His parents supplied all of the down payment for the

Asked on May 13, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you're not on the title, you are not an owner of the home: therefore, you are not entitled to any of the equity or proceeds from the house.
Living somewhere does  not give you the right to any of its proceeds; and contributing to its upkeep does not either (unless there was a written agreement that in exchange for doing so, you will get a share of the sale), since the amount(s) you paid could be characterized or viewed simply as your share of life expenses or even your "rent" for living there, and not an investment in the property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption