What should I do if my boss caused me to get asbestos in my lungs?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if my boss caused me to get asbestos in my lungs?

My boss told me to sweep up in a bathroom at the highschool I am working for this summer. The walls were peeling and I started sweeping when a co-worker who has worked for 2 years or so informed me that I was sweeping up asbestos. I had no protective materials, today I used 2 vacuums to try to clean it up, 1 had no bag and 1 had a hole in the bag, resulting in even more asbestos in my lungs. What should I do? Would legal action be an advisable approach to this.

Asked on August 4, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Montana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Speak to a personal injury attorney, preferably one with experience with toxic torts or asbestos litigation. If your employer exposed you to a dangerous chemical or substance, the employer can be liable for your injuries and medical costs. If, as we hope, you  have not been hurt by this, then they'd likely only be liable for the costs of medical monitoring in the future to make sure you stay ok; but any costs or injuries you suffer are things they can be responsible for. Since many attorneys will provide a free initial consultation to evaluate a case (you can ask about and confirm this before making an appointment), it would be well worth your while to speak with a lawyer to understand what this case might be worth, how strong it is, and what it would cost to pursue it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption