What to do if my bank account was garnished but their was no notice given?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my bank account was garnished but their was no notice given?

From what I have read, when this happens the account is to be frozen and the debtor is to be notified that a garnishment was attached. This would give them a couple of days to get an attorney or say whether or not the funds were exempt. However, in my case, nothing was done like that by the bank. They just took the money and left my account open to keep going upsidedown in the negative. What can I do?

Asked on February 15, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your were not given notice of the bank levy where all of your assets were taken without being given an opportunity to contest the levy, your option is to file a motion with the court where the judgment is located seeking a hearing as to what transpired and your desired recourse.

You will need to serve your bank as well as the judgment creditor. If you can afford an attorney, I suggest that you consult with one that practices in the area of debt collection. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption