What to do if my background check came back with information that belongs to a person that is not me?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my background check came back with information that belongs to a person that is not me?

The person in question has gotten in a lot of trouble legally. How do I get this to stop appearing? All of the information that hampered my ability to get a job. I have never been to somerset pa before and it says that the person in question is a fugitive. I really need to know how to take care of this as it would really hurt my well being if for any reason i get stopped by police.

Asked on December 4, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, tell the company which provided this background check that it was in error. Second, find out from them where they obtained the information, and contact those companies, agencies, etc. to correct the mistake. You may need to provide some evidence or proof that you are not the person they are referring to. A laywer can help you do this. Expect it to be frustrating and take longer than you'd like, but you should be able to correct it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption