My auto was hit in the employee parking lot by my employers bus. Can I sue for damagers?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My auto was hit in the employee parking lot by my employers bus. Can I sue for damagers?

I have pictures paint scrapings

Asked on August 23, 2017 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If it was hit by a bus owned by the employer or driven by one of their employees, yes, you can sue the employer: a vehicle owner (or lessee) is liable for accidents involving their vehicle; an employer is liable for the careless acts of its employees. (You could also sue the driver personally, who would be liable because of his or her own carelessness.)
It is necessary that the bus was driven carelessly or negligently, however, for there to be fault and therefore liability. If the driver was at fault, he/she and the employer would be liable. If your car was parked at the time, the driver was at fault: it is negligent, or unreasonably careless, to hit a stationary object or vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption