If my aunt has filled a claim that my father’s signature was forged on my birth certificate, will a paternity test clear it up?

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my aunt has filled a claim that my father’s signature was forged on my birth certificate, will a paternity test clear it up?

My grandfather died last year leaving a trust comprised of money, land and head rights. My father died over 15 years ago, only having 1 child (me). I am his legal heir. There is a teleconference in 2 weeks. What evidence should I present?

Asked on March 21, 2012 under Estate Planning, Montana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for your situation. You need to seek help from an attorney as soon as you can. You would need your Father's DNA to take a paternity test unless there is a something glaring that shows up like you have a completely different blood type than both your parents. I would not submit to any type of test yet.  You need to ask an attorney about the best and worst case scenario.  Do not act as your own attorney.  There is too much to lose.  You state law will be taken in to account and you are unfamiliar with it.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption