What to do if my landlord had a glitch in its pay system and I got overcharged only now they are not refunding me overdraft fees caused by this?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my landlord had a glitch in its pay system and I got overcharged only now they are not refunding me overdraft fees caused by this?

Due to a  glitch in their system, they overcharged me for what I authorized them to take out of my bank account. Which in turn made my bank account get overdrafted. They said they would refund any charges I received because of it but they have failed to do so in a timely manner which my bank gave me another overdraft fee because my account has been in the red for a certain period of time. What are my options here to make sure this doesn’t happen again, and to get my money back for both the glitch in the system and the overdraft fees.

Asked on August 2, 2011 Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your landlord through some error by him or her improperly requested an amount exceeding what is the agreed monthly rent from your bank account resulting in overdraft charges to you that normally would not have occurred, the landlord is obligated to you for reimbursing you all these charges and fees.

Your landlord stated that he or she would reimburse you these unexpected charges. Write the landlord an e mail reminding him or her about these charges with documentation showing such requesting reimbursement in a stated time period. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference.

To prevent future problems with the landlord's pay system and your bank account, you should end the landlord's ability to get access to your bank account for automatic withdrawals for rent payments. You should personally send a check on your own to the landlord on the monthly basis.

If the landlord does not refund the overdraft fees to you that were agreed to be paid to you, your option is a small claims court action against the landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption