What are my rights if my apartment community is changing parking rules for permits mid-lease?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my apartment community is changing parking rules for permits mid-lease?

It is forcing us to have our vehicles reflect the apartment address. I own a home and rent from them, and both are in the same county and state and I don’t want to make the change. However, they won’t issue me my permit which means I can get towed. Can they enforce this mid-lease, when the address wasn’t a requirement nor is it stated in the lease agreement?

Asked on December 5, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Actually, if the lease doesn't prevent them from doing this, they can: landlords may make, and change, rules regarding the provision of services so long as those rules are reasonable, and it is reasonable to only issue parking permits to cars which use the apartment address, as a way of controlling the issuance of permits. While they'd have to make parking available, if that's something you get per the lease, they have the right to make rules about the administration of and processes for getting those permits, to the extent not already determined by the lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption