What to do if my adult daughter was at fault for a car accident but was on the clock at work getting product from another store?

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my adult daughter was at fault for a car accident but was on the clock at work getting product from another store?

She rear-ended someone. My insurer is now saying they aren’t responsible and will not pay anything for our car or the car she hit. If her work doesn’t cover the damages, am I liable for them?

Asked on June 24, 2015 under Accident Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Her employer is not responsible or liable, and also does not have to reimburse or indemnify her, unfortunately. Or, to be more accurate: if she was working at the time, the injured party (the plaintiff) may be able to sue the employer in addition to or instead of your daughter, but is not required to do so--they could choose to just sue your daugher as the at-fault driver. And the employer has no legal oblgiation to pay for or defend the torts (e.g. accidents) of its employees, even if they were on the job, unless there was some written agreement (e.g. a written employment contract) requiring them to do so. So while her work could choose to cover damages, they don't have to. If it was your car and you presumably allowed your daughter to drive it (she didn't steal it from you), the you would be liable for the damges or costs if your daughter, as permitted driver, was at fault. If your insurance doesn't cover, you will have to pay personally.

Re-read your policy--if you think that under its terms your insurer should pay, you could sue the insurer for breach of contract to recover compensation from them. You also have the right to sue your daughter to make her pay any award, if she was at fault.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption