If my A/C has not been fixed and because of it my electricity bill is extremely high, ismy landlord liable for any part of the bill?

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my A/C has not been fixed and because of it my electricity bill is extremely high, ismy landlord liable for any part of the bill?

I have called and requested for someone to come fix my air for over two months now. I have even sent certified letter with my request in writing. The problem has not been fixed and my light bill has gone up drastically and I just flat out can’t afford it. I don’t feel that I should have to pay the whole bill because it is completely out of my control. I’m just not sure of what to do next.

Asked on August 3, 2011 Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Many states have statutes that allow a tenant after making attempts to have the landlord to rectify the problem with the rented apartment to "repair the problem and deduct the cost of the repair" from the following month or month's rent check depending upon the cost of the repair.

Potentially your state has a similar statute and laws like the "repair and deduct" law in California. You have made attempts to have your landlord fix the air conditioning problem without success. You should send one more letter to your landlord advising him or her of the unresolved problem with the air conditioning unit, give a set deadline, and if not fixed, advise the landlord you will fix the problem and deduct the costs from your next rent check.

Conceivably your landlord is responsible for the excess electricity used due to not fixing the problem you have complained about. My suggestion helps resolve the problem.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption