What are my rights if my vehicle was damaged when an automatic door came down on top of my car?

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my vehicle was damaged when an automatic door came down on top of my car?

I put a claim in with my insurer. However, the building owner refuses to give insurance info to my claim adjuster. I paid the deductible. Do I have any recourse against the bldg owner for reimbursement?

Asked on June 17, 2014 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to send a letter to the building owner informing him that you will sue him unless he immediately provides you with his insurance information.

If he does not respond, file a lawsuit against him for negligence.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the cost of repairs to your car and the cost of a rental car while your car was being repaired.  Depending on the amount of your damages, you may be able to file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  Your damages should also include court costs which would be the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption