If my 20 year old is on my insurance policy but the car will be in her name alone and she has a accident, can I be held liable?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 20 year old is on my insurance policy but the car will be in her name alone and she has a accident, can I be held liable?

Since I am listed on the insurance but not owner of the vehicle? I am going to sign the car over to her but we are going to keep the insurance the same because is listed as co-owner of the policy.

Asked on January 15, 2014 under Insurance Law, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes. If she were to get into a car accident, whether or not she is 20 or 16, the fact the car is in her name is only one factor. The second factor is who is named on the insurance.  An individual who sues will sue the owner of the vehicle, the insured(s), and the insurance company and driver (if different than the owner of the vehicle).  You may wish to talk with your insurance company to see how expensive it would be for her to be on her own insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption