If my 19-year old son was charged with third degree arson but was not read his rights or asked if he wanted an attorney, what should he say in court?

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 19-year old son was charged with third degree arson but was not read his rights or asked if he wanted an attorney, what should he say in court?

He says that he did not commit this crime but he signed a statement saying that he did because he was given a choice of writing a confession or facing 3-5 years in jail if he went to trial. He says he just wrote the confession to stay out of jail. What should he say in court about this “confession”? He was questioned for 6 hours over two days but his family was not allowed to be with him. He is defending himself in court because he cannot afford an attorney.

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your son cannot afford an attorney presently, he should at the arraignment request the court for the appointment of legal counsel, most likely the public defender's office. There is no guarantee that one will be appointed in that there has to be an application form filled out and his financial status is evaluated.

I would plead "not guilty" at the arraignment that is coming up. Given the possibility of a Miranda violation, it is best that your son somehow find a way to retain legal counsel to defend him in that to get the confession supressed, he will need to file a legal motion to do so which typically involves an experienced attorney to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption