If my 19 year old daughter was billed for an entire 28 daydrug treatment programif they discharged her after 3 days stay, is she liable to pay?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 19 year old daughter was billed for an entire 28 daydrug treatment programif they discharged her after 3 days stay, is she liable to pay?

The hospital said that she was not suitable for the program she was in and wanted to refer her to an all-female program at an unrelated facility. She went there and completed their program. However the original hospital billed her for the entire 28 day stay even though they discharged her after only 3 days. They billed her insurance for the entire amount. Now they are trying to collect from my daughter the deductible that the insurance company did not pay.

Asked on February 9, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your daughter was charged for a 28 stay at the hospital where she only stayed there for 3 days where she is being requested to pay the deductible not paid by her carrier, I would first see what the deductible amount is in relationship to the 3 day period and the 28 day period.

It does not seem right that the carrier is to pay for the full 28 day period if she was only there 3 days. I would call the hospital to question the 25 day excess charge as well as notify the insurance carrier regarding it.

It seems that your daughter is obligated to pay some part of the deductible. The issue is how much in relationship to the 3 versus 28 day period.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption