If my 18 year old was just arrested with drugparaphernalia, do I need an attorney?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 18 year old was just arrested with drugparaphernalia, do I need an attorney?

I’m in Wall Walla, WA.

Asked on February 9, 2012 under Criminal Law, Washington


Jonathan Griffin / Griffin Law, PLLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is generally a bad idea to try to handle any criminal matter without an attorney. The attorney will be able to scrutinize the case and decide if the state can meet its burden of proof.

Even if the state can meet its burden, your 18 year old may be eligible for some sort of deferred prosecution which ends with a dismissal if he/she has no prior record. This is a common resolution in similar cases in my jurisdiction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption