What to do if my 18-year old son was the passenger in a car and was injured in an accident but the driver was uninsured?

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my 18-year old son was the passenger in a car and was injured in an accident but the driver was uninsured?

The driver was speeding down a hill when they hit a curve. The driver over-corrected causing the car to flip. My son had to go to the hospital with minimum injuries and my health insurance covered some of the medical expenses but not all. We just found out the driver was not insured and he or his mom will not return messages. My son is now left with about $900 in unpaid medical bills.

Asked on October 16, 2014 under Personal Injury, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You son can sue the driver, who--from what you write was driving negligently or carelessly and so was at fault in causing the accident--for the remaining balance of his medical bills; not having insurance does not mean the driver might not have to pay the bills--it just means he does not have insurance to pay them for him. For $900, suing in small claims court, with your son acting as his own attorney, is a cost-effective option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption