What to do if my 17 year old son was at a friend’s house and was driving his friends UTV razor which he flipped?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my 17 year old son was at a friend’s house and was driving his friends UTV razor which he flipped?

He wasn’t wearing a seatbelt and was ejected. His has 2 broken wrists and a finger. His friend’s parents were not home at the time there were out of the state. I did not know they were going to be riding the razor. My son had a passenger but he was wearing a seat belt and was not hurt. The razor wasn’t damaged. Who’s insurance will cover this?

Asked on October 19, 2015 under Personal Injury, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

From what you write, the only injury appears to be that of your son. Unfortunately, because he was driving and was the one who flipped the vehicle, he--and that means, because he is a minor, you--are liable for and will have to pay for his injuries. A person who is at-fault in causing an accident cannot recover from the owner of the vehicle which he was driving. You will have to look to your own insurance and, if necessary, your own pockets to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption