If my divorce was in Puerto Rico but my ex and i now both live in ths states, how do I get the child support stopped?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my divorce was in Puerto Rico but my ex and i now both live in ths states, how do I get the child support stopped?

Do I have to petition the courts in in the state in which I now live for physical custody and then forward that to Puerto Rico to modify decree? My 17 year old son live with me now by his choice; his mother will not stop child support. I live in one state and she lives in another.

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to file a petiton regarding the custody and visitation and support issue in your ateta and county.  The court only has the ability to make a decision in the state the child presently lives.  Now, you should bring with you the order from the court in Puerto Rico.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption