My 17 year old daughter was arrested

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My 17 year old daughter was arrested

My 17 year old daughter was pulled over for having things hanging from her rear
view mirror. Upon pulling her over they determined that she was driving while
high. They arrested her and took her to the hospital for a blood test. Then took
her to jail. My question is can the police and hospital do all that without even
contacting me?

Asked on August 27, 2017 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

My research suggests that without consent, an officer has to get a warrant in order toobtain a blood test for purposes of providing a sample (the officer does not, however, need a warrant in order to demand that the driver take a breath test). Since it is not clear whether your daughter gave her consent, you may or may not have a case. As to her being a minor, the courts require that an arrestee’s consent be voluntary to justify a warrantless blood draw. While their age and a parent’s presence are relevant, these factors are not necessarily determinative in assessing whether or not consent was voluntary under the circumstances. At this point, you should consut directly with a DUI attorney in your area; they can best advise further after reviewing all of the facts of the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption