What to do if my 17 year old daughter was caught shoplifting make-up costing about $30?

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my 17 year old daughter was caught shoplifting make-up costing about $30?

They called the police, she was arrested, spent almost two nights in jail before they would set $500 bond for me to bail her out. Now don’t get me wrong there is no excuse for stealing and she knows that but this kid has never been in trouble at all, not even school her entire life. She goes to court next month but I don’t know what to expect. The store sent a letter about paying them $150. What is this for, since they got their merchandise back. The police said they could charge her with a misdemeanor but I’m not and I asked why because she hasn’t been in trouble before and he wouldn’t answer me. I’m a single mother

Asked on November 19, 2013 under Criminal Law, Texas


Stefanee Davis / Stefanee R. Davis, Attorney at Law

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should definitely retain an attorney to defend your daughter's case. No one can tell you exactly what to expect without knowing what charges are pending and reviewing the incident report.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption