If my 14 year old daughter got charged with possession of marijuana (less than an oz.) at school, do we need to get a lawyer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 14 year old daughter got charged with possession of marijuana (less than an oz.) at school, do we need to get a lawyer?

What’s going to happen when she goes to court? I don’t want this to affect her record in the future.

Asked on December 2, 2015 under Criminal Law, Georgia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Often the courts will appoint an attorney if you cannot afford one for her. Call ahead and see if the jurisdiction you're in offers a program for court appointed attorney.  If they don't, you do not necessarily have to hire an attorney, but at least arrange a consultation with an attorney so that can let you know about any specific programs in your jurisdiction that your daughter may be eligible for. Juvenile records are usually sealed... so this isn't something that will necessarily ruin your daughter's life, but these are still serious decisions that don't need to be taken lightly. 
At a first court date, the court will usually admonish your child of her rights.  A juvenile officer may want to visit with you and your daughter.  If you request time, the judge will usually give you time to hire an attorney.  Again... you don't have to have one... but it does help to have someone make sure that you both understand the consequences of whatever they offer your daughter by way of a plea bargain.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption