What to do about a letter regarding a civil claim for shoplifting?

UPDATED: Oct 9, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 9, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a letter regarding a civil claim for shoplifting?

My 13 year old daughter was arrested for shoplifting. The case has been closed by the police and we have now been getting letters from the store’s law firm concerning a civil claim against her. They have sent 3 letters so far and the balance keeps going up. What do I need to do?

Asked on October 9, 2014 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A letter of this type is called a "civil demand". While these demands are routinely made, they are rarely acted upon. This means that more than likely you will never be sued (although there is the remote chance). Consequently you can ignore these letters if you want. Just be aware, you may continue to get more and they may request an even higher amount. Again, you can choose to ignore them. If you do decide to contact these people for some reason, then write them, do not speak with them directly as they are notorious for their using intimidating tactics. At that point, you can offer them a small fraction of what they are asking for as a settlement which they may well accept (or you can still choose to ignore their demands). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption