What can be done if my 12 year-old doesn’t want to go to her dad’s anymore?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if my 12 year-old doesn’t want to go to her dad’s anymore?

He missed ages 3-6, then starting seeing her but only when he felt like it. In 2010 he missed her birthday and 2 very important performances she had.He didn’t speak to her for 8 months after that and now wants to come back around. She doesn’t want to go and would rather tell the judge she don’t want to go back. What is the best thing for us to do? She honestly says she wants him out of her life for good; its not right for him to choose when to be there. I agree. She also refused his Christmas presents. What do we do to make it easier for her?

Asked on January 2, 2011 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If the non-custodial parent has court ordered visitation, then the child and custodial parent have to comply with it. If they do not, then the custodial parent can be held in contempt of court.  As a practical matter, it's often difficult to force a 12 year-old to do anything.  You could go to court and try to get the visitation portion of the custody order modified.  If there has been behavior such as you outlined, although short of abusive or unsafe, you may well be successful.  Considering that the "child" is at least 12, the court may well give more consideration to their non-visitation request. 

Note:  The custodial parent cannot be found to have initiated or co-operated in any non-visitation incident. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption