What to do if my 11 year daughter was given a T-dap booster but I was not told of the possible side effects?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my 11 year daughter was given a T-dap booster but I was not told of the possible side effects?

One being that half of all teens and preteens ages 11-18 years old given this shot tend to faint, unlike kids under 10. My daughter experienced syncope and collapse from a sitting position landing face first onto the hard concrete floor while in the exam room 5 minutes after receiving the mandatory T-dap booster. The fall caused 2 chipped teeth, 2 fat lips upper and lower on the left side, a concussion, and a black eye on the left side. Repeated vomiting and 30 minutes of complete confusion, pain, and fear she experienced. She was then transported to ER where a CAT scan was given, along with anti-nausea medicine to control the vomiting. Could this be malpractice or negligence on the part of the doctor’s office?

Asked on October 18, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have writetn your daughter may have a possible negligence case against her treating physicain who had her innoculated with the booster that you have written about without disclosing in writing the possible side effects of the injection before it happened assuming custom and practice in the medical industry would have been to have such informed consent given to the minor's parent.

As such, I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney specializing in the area of medical malpractice about the possible liability issues of your question and your daughter's damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption