What to do if my 10 month old son cut himself with a knife at a department store?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my 10 month old son cut himself with a knife at a department store?

This really sharp knife was left open and in a area where any child could get it. It just so happened to be mine. We went to the ER and he had to get stitches to close the wound. I went back to the store and filed an accident report and the manager said that Corporate would contact me. What will the department store pay for? Can I sue them?

Asked on December 14, 2013 under Personal Injury, Ohio


Gregory Abbott / Consumer Law Northwest

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You could sue them but are not likely to win or at least not win enough to pay the costs of bringing the lawsuit.  Assuming Ohio has some sort of comparative negligence provisions (as most States, but not all, do), if I represented the store I would argue that while it may have been negligent for the store to leave a sharp dangerous knife out where children could play with it, it was much more negligent for a parent to let a 10 month old baby get anywhere near such a sharp and dangerous object.  Protecting a child is a parent's number one duty; it is not a store's.  While stores should not leave dangerous items lying around for children to play with, they do not have to child-proof their stores to the level that a 10 month old baby cannot hurt himself when a parent is not adequately supervising him.  And, in most States, if you are more negligent than the store, you recover little or nothing from them in a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption