Must we give a 30 day notice to a land lord that is unreachable and plans to foreclose on the house we are living in?

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Must we give a 30 day notice to a land lord that is unreachable and plans to foreclose on the house we are living in?

We have lived in this man’s house for over a year and have suddenly been informed that the house will go up for foreclosure June 2. Are we still tied to a 30 day move out notice, considering we have less than two weeks before it is foreclosed? We don’t want to get bad credit if we move out immediately.

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a Texas lawyer, but it's my understanding that not doing things the right way, when leaving a rented home, can give you long-term trouble renting another place.

Your questions doesn't say what stage the foreclosure is in, if June 2 is the date it is going to hearing, to judgment, or to sale.  That might be important, and it might also have a bearing on where you send the June rent check.

I would recommend that you talk to a lawyer in your area about this, who can read the notice and explain your rights to you exactly, based on all of the facts of your case.  One place to look for an attorney is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption