Must I appear in NC court for a 15mph over speeding ticket I received since I am a MI resident?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Must I appear in NC court for a 15mph over speeding ticket I received since I am a MI resident?

I received a speeding ticket in NC while traveling from MI. Can I pay fine not
appear in NC court? They are demanding I appear in their NC court.

Asked on July 6, 2019 under General Practice, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no right to simply pay the fine--speeding tickets are not like parking tickets, they are rather quasi-criminal and so an appearance is necessary. You *may* be able to hire a local attorney to appear for you without you also showing up--some courts allow that, some don't. You have to call the specific court in question to find if an attorney can appear without you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption