moving out of state on probation

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

moving out of state on probation

i i’m on probation for larcency over $20,000. my probation ends in 2011 base on if i finish paying. my wife job is moving her. i also have a job lined up there will they let me move with her?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Criminal Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I don't know if your probation officer will let you move.  What are the other terms of your probation? Have you had priors? Was this your first offense? Lareceny for $20,000.00 is grand larceny. It is pretty serious.  Did you have a job that takes you near money? Does your new job know you are on probation?

Talk to your probation officer.  He or she will help you.  You should also confer with your public defender and/or your private criminal defense counsel.  If you can afford a private criminal defense attorney, try and then check his or her record at the Michigan State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption