Moving help

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Moving help

I’m moving and trying to get someone to take over my lease. I’m having to show my apartment time and time again. I have had 5 people last week who have submitted apps but the management company is taking forever to process those applications. One person has already gotten approved for a different place because they took so long. Could I legally dispute the charges for breaking the lease because they are not doing their job if I don’t find anyone?

Asked on February 28, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You could try to dispute the charges on the basis you describe. You would have to show that they are taking unreasonably or unnecessarily long, and not merely that, for example, some of the fairly standard checks done on prospective tenants (e.g. criminal background or credit chceks) are simply taking some time to do. Basically, if they are taking as long as they regularly take to approve tenants, they are most likely not doing anything wrong; only if you could show that they are taking longer in this case then they typically do would you likely be able to succeed in showing that they have acted improperly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption