Moveable property after death

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Moveable property after death

A couple purchased a vehicle for their daughter. The
vehicle is registered in the daughters name. After the
purchase the daughter got married. The daughter
has now passed away. Does her husband get to
keep the vehicle? She has two children prior to the
marriage and one with her husband. The state is
Louisiana and she did not have a will.

Asked on July 13, 2016 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Since the daughter died intestate (without a Will), the rules of intestate succession determine inheritance.
Under intestate succession, the daughter's entire estate, which includes the vehicle, is inherited by her surviving spouse.  If there had not been a surviving spouse, the estate would have been divided equally among her children.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption