Mother has Irrevocable Trust and wants me to sign a new Trust

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Mother has Irrevocable Trust and wants me to sign a new Trust

My stepfather passed a few months ago. My mother and stepfather, residents of California, had a revocable Trust that became irrevocable on his death. I have never read their Trust. She had her property and assets assessed after he passed and had her attorney write up a new Trust. She just emailed me to say she is sending me a signature page that she wants me sign and return to her and then she would have my brother sign it. As far as I know from never reading it, we are the only beneficiaries of the trust but I don’t really know the details. She stated that her new trust is very complicated and it is all about avoiding a 40% inheritance tax in CA when she dies. She mentioned her Trust was done 28 years ago and the laws were different then so her attorney is finding a way to change it. I’ve asked her before about the old Trust but she doesn’t want me to read it. Should I have an attorney review not only the signature page but request reading the entire trust and can I legally request this? Just as an FYI, we all 3 live in different states.

Asked on July 15, 2017 under Estate Planning, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You should request to see and read the entire Trust before signing. You may want to have an attorney review it and answer any questions you may have about the Trust.
You never want to sign a document without reading it and being familiar with it because if you sign without reading, you are bound by its contents which may include provisions that are adverse to your interests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption