mortgage with another person,without written agreement

UPDATED: May 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

mortgage with another person,without written agreement

i have a mortgage with another party without a written agreement. The other party dedided to move out,and stop buying half of the mortgage. What can i do? Can i force the otherparty to pay half. we both signed the mortgage contract.

Asked on May 24, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Like most people, when you are buying a home with someone else, things are good, and you think they will always be good, it's just human nature not to want to think of the worst.  But, unfortunately, sometimes things go sour.

You really can't force the other person to pay half the mortgage, without anything in writing.  You might not have any options other than to file a suit for partition, which would set the value of the other person's interest for a buy-out, or determine what share each of you would get after the property is sold.

Please talk to a real estate lawyer in your area, who can give you complete advice based on all the unique facts of your case, since there might be more to this story that turns out to make a difference.  One place to look for an attorney is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption