How long after being molested can you bring charges and/or sue?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long after being molested can you bring charges and/or sue?

I want to know if I have a case against a sheriff who molested me when I was a teenager. I am now 41 years old and now I want to get justice for the sexual crime that was committed against me. I couldn’t wait until I was old enough to move away from that small town because I had no one I could turn to to talk about this issue. The sheriff is still an active duty sheriff as of today. I want to know, did I wait too long to bring this up? I’m just doing it now is because I have struggled with it.

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are now 41 years of age and you were molested when you were a teenager, for you to bring a civil lawsuit against the sheriff that allegedly molested you and make a police report to law enforcement for a possible crimnal action you need to be aware that you claims both from a civil and a criminal aspect may be time barred by the applicable statute of limitations under the laws of the state where the acts occurred.

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney who also practices personal injury law as to whether or not your claims may be barred by your state's statute of limitations where the conduct occurred.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption