Who is responsible for taking care of a mole problem in a rental?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is responsible for taking care of a mole problem in a rental?

I am in one side of a duplex rental. I am responsible for keeping up the enclosed yard that is at the back of my unit. However, there is a mole problem on the entire larger property in general (only 2 duplexes so total 4 units), including my little yard. I can’t keep my yard looking nice as required when the moles keep digging it up.

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I would carefully read your presumed lease with respect to whether the landlord or you are responsible for dealing with the mole problem that you are writing about in that the lease sets forth the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa.

If the lease is silent about this issue then the landlord is responsible for the mole issue. As to your neighbors, since the moles are wild creatures, they have no responsibility to you for eliminating the mole issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption