Ifour mobile home situated on family member’s land and now they want us to move it, how much time dowe have?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ifour mobile home situated on family member’s land and now they want us to move it, how much time dowe have?

My wife’s grandmother agreed to let us place our mobile home on some vacant land that he owned. We have been living here for over 6 years. Now, due to a family squabble, she is making us move it. This presents an extreme hardship for us and our children, but we are happy to do so ASAP. We have never been asked to pay rent, and have nothing on paper, just a verbal agreement. How much time do we have to move our trailer, and what are our rights in this situation?

Asked on December 29, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

1) She has the right to make you relocate the home--it's her property, not yours, and in the absence of any agreement as to your rights (e.g. a lease), she can ask you to leave.

2) If you're not paying rent at all, she only has to give you a few day's notice--usually 3 - 5.

3) If you don't move after the notice period, she can then bring an eviction action and get an order that you must leave; this usually takes a few weeks, from start to finish.

There's no firm time line, since alot depends on how aggressively she pursues it, how booked up the courts are, etc., but 3 - 6 weeks is not uncommon, though it can take longer. You may wish to try to work out a timeline with her--e.g. agree to be out be a certain date. You could also offer to pay her some rent in exchange for more  time (or being able to stay there indefinitely).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption