Missed court date

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Missed court date

I was caught driving on a suspended
license and now I accidentally missed
my court date. The judge has set out a
bench warrant, is there any way I can
do something without having to turn
myself in?

Asked on June 10, 2016 under Criminal Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you will have to turn yourself in. You now have a criminal case and also still have to deal with the underlying offense. Therefore, it is advisable to seek legal counsel in this matter. Contact a criminal defense attorney who practices in the are of where the warrant was issued; they can use their local contacts to your best advantage. The fact is, that until you clear this up, you run the risk of arrest and being taken into custody. And it is better to appear in court before a judge voluntarily rather than by courtesy of the jail bus.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption