What can I do to clear my record if I missed court 5 years ago?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to clear my record if I missed court 5 years ago?

I did my jail time and was told to return to court to figure out the rest of my sentence, however I missed it. It’s been about 5 years and now I want to get it handled because I have a son and want clear this up. I know I have a warrant and it’s for missing court, so I am not sure what the best steps are. The charges were for criminal damage.

Asked on June 10, 2016 under Criminal Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You will need to turn yourself into the appropriate court. At this point, if you are stopped for speeding or even jaywalking, you can be taken into custody, so you are right in wanting to clear this up. Depending on the underlying charge, you may not have to go to jail. At this point, it would be best if you retain a criminal law attorney who practices in the area of where the warrant was issued. They can use their local court contacts to your best advantage, as well as adisinf you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption