Minor over 18 but under 21 possession of alcohol found in card unopened.

UPDATED: Apr 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Minor over 18 but under 21 possession of alcohol found in card unopened.

My daughter was stopped for having high beams on and the cop searched the car and found an overnight bag with 2 unopened beers in it. He did not cite her, but told here she would get something in the mail telling her when to apprear before a magistrate. Is this considered being charged? Is it a criminal offense and would it show up on a CORI check if they continue it without a finding?

Asked on April 24, 2009 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


Robert Pellinen / Law Offices of Robert Pellinen

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Having high beams on is not a valid reason to search your daughter's overnight bag. Therefore, if the search was illegal or without probable cause, the evidence seized, i.e., the beer should be inadmissible.  Looking to the brighter side, If he didn't cite her at that time probably nothing will happen. It's the prosecutor who decides whether to charge her with a criminal offense. At this point in time; I wouldn't do anything to arose the government's interest.  At this stage of the proceedings, it should not appear as a criminal or Department of Motor Vehcicle offense since she hasn't be accused of any violation of the law.

I hope this information is helpful to you. I don't believe you have anything to be concerned about.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption