Minor fender bender. Do I have to file a claim?

UPDATED: Apr 21, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Minor fender bender. Do I have to file a claim?

My 17 year old son was in a minor fender bender on private property. No police reprot was filed but they exchanged information and my son took pictures of the minor dent in the bumper. Estimated cost of repair is 700.00. Can I just pay for the repairs or do I have to file with my insurance. Deductible is $500 – $1000 and I don’t want his rates to go up.

Asked on April 21, 2009 under Accident Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Even though I am a lawyer, I am NOT a lawyer in Idaho nor YOUR lawyer, and this is intended as practical advice, not legal advice.

Paying for the property damages out of pocket is a common occurrence in these circumstances. The danger however always is that the other driver and any passengers may then turn around and sue your son for claimed personal injury. If you admitted liability by paying the property damages and you did not timely notify your insurance company about the incident it can claim you failed to report or cooperate and then attempt to deny liability.

Without suggesting what you should do, if you are willing to pay out-of-pocket without admitting or denying liability, at least make sure you get a General Release from the other car owner, driver, and every passenger in both cars so you don't walk into a potential buzz saw.

There may also be reporting requirements to the DMV or other authorities, but I leave that to you to figure out

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption