What to do if my child was arrested for shoplifting?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my child was arrested for shoplifting?

Minor arrested for shoplifting; first offense. There were $38 in cards taken. Should I plead my child guilty of retain a lawyer?

Asked on January 4, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your child was arrested for shoplifting most likely a misdemeanor, it is best that you first consult with a criminal defense attorney about the best way of trying to resolve the situation before deciding to enter a guilty plea or not.

Since this is your child's first offense and since he or she is a minor, most likely the offered plea by the district attorney's office will be court probabtion where if accepted and your child abides by the terms of probation for the set time period, the court may end up having the charge dismissed at the probation's end.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption