Minnesota Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

In Minnesota, changing your name is a relatively simple procedure that you can complete on your own. The information below will get you started and simplify the process.

What forms are required for a Minnesota name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Minnesota:

  • Application for Name Change
  • Criminal History Check Release
  • Proposed Order Granting Name Change

These forms can be found on the Minnesota Judicial Branch website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Minnesota?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. The Applicationmust be made under oath and signed in front of a notary public or a deputy court administrator.

Is there a filing fee in Minnesota for a name change?Yes. The fee varies by courthouse. Check with your local district court clerk to determine the cost. A fee waiver may be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will give you the date of your court hearing when you file your Application.When you appear in court, you must bring two witnesses who know you and who will testify as to your identity.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?


Any additional requirements?

A criminal history check must be completed prior to filing. See the Criminal History Check Release or check with your local courthouse for more information.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption