Michigan Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

While you might expect it to be a complicated legal task, changing your name in Michigan is fairly easy. File a few forms in the proper court, pay the fee, and you will be well on your way. Here is the information you need to get started:

What forms are required for a Michigan name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Michigan:

  • Petition to Change Name(form PC 51)
  • Order Following Hearing on Petition to Change Name(PC 52)
  • Publication of Notice of Hearing (form PC 563)

These forms can be found on the Michigan State Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Michigan?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. However, the clerk of the court can notarize the Petition for Change of Namefor free when you bring it to court.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Michigan?

Yes. The fee is $150. A fee waiver may be obtained with a showing of sufficient financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will tell you the date of your court hearing when you file you Petition.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Ask the clerk of the circuit court for more details on where and when to publish your newspaper notice.

Anything else?

Yes. You must also have two sets of fingerprints taken by a local policy agency if you are 22 years old or older. Ask the clerk of the court for more details.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption