What can I do if I’m being discriminated against due to my mental illness?mental illness

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I’m being discriminated against due to my mental illness?mental illness

I was working at my job for a few years as a corrections officer and kitchen supervisor. I had a mental breakdown and was suicidal after my meds were changed, so I then checked into a mental health facility. After my release I went back to work but felt mentally unstable again and checked back into the facility. My job continued to pay the short term disability that I paid for. My meds were finally corrected so I tried to return to work, however at that time they stated no due to that they were terminating me. My boss stated that he couldn’t take a chance of mentally disabled person and if he hires me back he would have to hire other mentally impaired people.

Asked on May 9, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need to find an employment law attorney to assist you in filing an ADA claim. (disability claim)  You need to do this quickly as the timelines for these types of claims are very tight.  If you cannot afford an attorney, make an appointment to visit with someone from the EEOC.  This is the federal agency that helps process discriminal complaints.  From the limited information that you have provided, there is a good chance that a claim, with proper support, could be successful since they admitted fired you because of your disability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption