medical bills after person dies

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

medical bills after person dies

Am I obligated to pay medical bills from my husband after he has passed away?

Asked on March 8, 2018 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. The theory for payment of the medical debts of a spouse is known as the Doctrine of Necessities, and it vaires from state to state.  Here it can be tricky, since where he was a legal resident and you are a legal resident will matter. In Kentuckey, a husband is responsible for these bills of a wife without creating a limit based on the ability to pay.  BUT a WIFE IS NOT SIMILARLY RESPONSIBLE, strange as it sounds. In Tennessee, both are equally responsible.  I would seek out help from a local attorney to be prepared for the fight, because TN is going to make the claim.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption