Whatare my rightsif my roommate and I made a verbal agreement but now she is backing out of agreement and kicking me out?

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whatare my rightsif my roommate and I made a verbal agreement but now she is backing out of agreement and kicking me out?

My roommate made an agreement with me to watch her child to save her $400 per month. In return I would receive room and board, food and cigarettes to watch the child. Now she is disgruntled because of cigarettes and wants me out and will not allow me the time to find employment so I can find another residence.

Asked on August 26, 2011 Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Okay so here are a few different issues here.  First, you have an employment agreement/contract which is verbal and not in writing.  So you would probably be considered an employee at will, meaning that you can be fired for any reason and at any time.  She may not under this analysis have to give you any time to find another job.  But I can see how if the room was tied to the employment a reasonable time to find a new living arrangement should be permitted. Have yo thought about possibly coming to an agreement to stop the smoking say in the residence or within 100 feet of the child?  That is not to say that you should take the kid to the park and walk 100 feet away to have smoke.  But the cigarettes are not good for the kid.  Who is on the lease? If you do not leave she may have to evict you.  But I would say that if you want to stay you need to make concessions.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption