If my son and I were injured in and accident and we are negotiating a settlement, what can I expect?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son and I were injured in and accident and we are negotiating a settlement, what can I expect?

My total medical bill came to about $5,000.00 and I have a 3-4 inch scar on my face from having 12 stitches. After seeing a plastic surgeon I was told it could be revised for about $700. My sons bills came to about $1,000 and he is more psychologically scarred than physically. We have not sought treament from a therapist because I was afraid he would just feel worse about it. What is a fair settlement for this type of accident?

Asked on August 4, 2012 under Personal Injury, Utah


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is very difficult to determine a settlement amount without knowing all the facts of your case.  You and your son are entitled to reimbursement for your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.  You are also entitled to compensation for the scar you have.  You can ask to be compensated for the cost of the procedure which could correct the scar or ask for compensation for the scar itself.  It is difficult to give you an exact figure without knowing all of the facts of your situation.  If you feel unsure, I would suggest you at least consult with a personal injury attorney in your area before agreeing to a settlement amount for your injuries.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption