What can I do if I’m separated and want to move my daughter out of state but he says he isn’t allowing her to leave?

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I’m separated and want to move my daughter out of state but he says he isn’t allowing her to leave?

We do not have any custody papers and I want to know if I can take her.

Asked on June 17, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If there is no court order addressing custody currently in effect, you can take your out-of-state. However, your husband could go to court and obtain an order which will prohibit you from leaving. If you leave before he goes to court, he could still go and obtain an order that will require you to return; if you don't come back, you can be charged with parental kidnapping. To be certain of your status, you should go to court and try to get full custody and permission for the move. That having been said, a judge will have to determine whether a move would be in the best interests of your daughter. This means that you may or may not be granted permission to move to another state with her.

That having been said, at this point, before doing anything else you should consult directly with an attorney who specializes in child custody cases. They can best advise as to how you should proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption