What are a joint account owner’s rights to their bank account?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are a joint account owner’s rights to their bank account?

My dad and I have a joint account. We set this account up when I was a minor about 16 years old. I am now 19 years old and he won’t give me the account. All the money in the account belongs to me. None of money in the account is his. My dad has social security, and they were giving me money to because I was still a minor. I don’t receive anymore social security because I’m now an adult. Also I receive a ROTC stipend from college and that goes into the account also. None of that money is his. He is basically trying to control me. I keep asking him to put the account in my name and let me have control, but he won’t do it. The bank couldn’t do anything to help either. Also I ask for the password for the account and he won’t give it to me

Asked on September 1, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In most situations where there are joint accounts and the parties are adults, one or the other can pull the money out of the account. Apparently there is some requirement in place prohibiting you from pulling money out of this account placed by your father.

For starters, you should open up another bank account in your own name and have all monies such as the ROTC stipend go to the new bank account that you set up instead of the account where you cannot draw from.

If the joint account is eesentially yours and not your father's you need to either obtain an agreement from him voluntarily to allow you to draw from it or bring a legal action against your father for a court order to allow you to draw from the account.

I caution you about doing the latter in that there could be some serious fallout as a result.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption