If my boyfriend of almost 4 years and I are getting married, what do I need to do when he submits the I-130?

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my boyfriend of almost 4 years and I are getting married, what do I need to do when he submits the I-130?

He is an American citizen. I am on H-1B status working in another state. Do I have to resign from my job immediately when he submits?

Asked on June 3, 2014 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

NO, you do not need to resign nor do you have to move in right away after you are married provided you can show documentation of the bona fide nature of your relationship when everything is submitted and at the time of your interview with USCIS.  It often happens that spouses live and work or live and study in different cities or states and as long as they can show that the marriage is legit, they are approved without any issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption